Friday, February 10, 2017

Bees

I am very lucky to have caught a bee swarm in my Swarm Box. I had Lemon Oil in a small vial inside, which is a bee attractor. I read that the bees can smell it from a half mile away. Unfortunately I left the Swarm Box in the barn on a shelf of a work bench and, sure enough, the bees found it. Lots of bees found it.


Transferred the bees to my homemade hive built using the Langstroth Bee Hive plans. This plan is a hundred years old and is one the bees love because of interior spacing. Works great. Did not get stung transferring the bees because I did it in the dark of night.


Bees are happy. I am happy. I did get stung while admiring my Jubilee Beehive. I got too close.


This is one reason to have Bees. HONEY! Great for hot Tea, baking Whole Wheat Bread and sweetening Yogurt. See the pages for Food; too bad you can't see the grin on my face. The other reason for keeping Bees is pollination.


By the way, straining honey from the comb is messy so it is best done outside. Then the Bees find you messing with Honey and want to participate so you have to suit-up. Do you know that Bees can find the open cuff of long pants and climb up your leg. Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment