Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Jack Daniels




Jack Daniels is my staggering drunk tractor.

His actual name is: 1946 Farmall Super A. The 1946 is Jack's year of birth which makes him 6 years younger than me. Farmall is the brand name of International Harvester. The Super means he has hydraulics and can lift and lower tools, for example the underbelly mower he carries. The A means model design. Or maybe it means Can't Drive Straight.

My wife bought Jack for me. It was like this. The previous property owner would not sell me Jack and I would not buy the farm without him. Sandra, reading the deed, pointed out some discrepancies and told the seller, "Just give him the tractor and we will forget about this error". So, I got Jack.


Jack is actually a pretty good mower, except that there is no power steering and it takes an acre to turn and start the next row, along with staggering. There is a two-brake system meaning you can lock one wheel and sort of spin Jack around but let me suggest that you don't want to do that in our sandy soil. Big Hole. Check out that belly mower. Grass be gone.


 I have driven Jack in the Pritchett Community Christmas Parade for 18 years. It is no small feat to stagger along the 3/4 mile parade route with no flat tires, out of gas, out of radiator water, missing parts, injured pesdestrians or falling in a ditch. Almost, but we survived every time.

Jack was built when Rust was a Designer Color. People ask me why I don't get a fresh coat of paint for Jack but I say Jack won't put up with it. I'm the same. Somedays I just don't want to wash up when I come in.

Here is Jack staring down his factory-mate who is remodeled and bragging about it. My good friend Eddie Turner; a bit too proud of his bright red bucket-of- bolts.


Here is Jack all gussied up for the Christmas Parade. Ain't he pretty.

Kids love to drive Jack around the Farm.






As I said, the "kids" like to drive Jack Daniels. (don't run into my fence Pat)




No comments:

Post a Comment