Friday, February 10, 2017

Young Men

I have done about a dozen projects with young men to teach them Christian Principles which exist in ordinary work. A box must be made of parts that are square and true. The complete work must have a careful finish. 

This is Kane and a Jewelry Box he made for his momma. 


Ian and Sean working on a Storage Box for their Nanny to store her knitting supplies.

This is David's Tool Box for a competition. He needed to show 3 types of joints; this has 5. The Tool Box is made of Pecan and Black Walnut to show off the joints between parts. Notice: Lap Joints, Mitre Joints, Tongue and Groove Joints, Dowel Joints and Mortice Joints. This is a really Classic piece with a hand rubbed near mirror finish. The question I always ask the student is: What was Jesus last words on the cross? The answer, which they must find on their own, is "It is finished." So, I point to their project which they have been working on for a week, and say, "That is not finished." A week later, after hours of sanding and waxing the students looks at me and says, proudly, "It IS finished."

Pay attention to David's joints and the alternate colors of the pieces.




Check out David's finish.



Should anyone ask why I would spend time with these kids I would say that Kent Nicholson spent time with me when I was but 12 tears old. I still have the Square he gave me. A fine Christian Man, he.

No comments:

Post a Comment